Sunday, December 16, 2012

Music Monday

Hello again! I had to skip Music Monday last week since I was participating in the Mating Game Blog Hop, but I'm back this week! I've been working on the third book in the EDGE series, and I thought I'd give a sneak peek at some of the music that will be included in the story.

The book is set around the time of the 2006 Olympics. The Olympic season is when skaters want to have "iconic" programs, so their music choices are extremely important. Emily and Chris have been planning for this season since the flame was extinguished at the 2002 Winter Games, and they won't be happy with anything less than gold. They've chosen a very dramatic and passionate piece for their short program, aiming to showcase their emotional connection with the audience and with each other.

Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber

Aubrey and Nick compete in ice dance, which has a required rhythm for the original dance segment of the competition. The rhythm for the 2006 Olympic season is the Latin Combination, which includes the Merengue, Cha Cha, Samba, Mambo, and Rumba. Unlike Emily and Chris, Aubrey and Nick just want to get on the podium. They're hoping they can wow the judges with their sexy dance moves in their Ricky Martin medley.

"Casi Un Bolero by Ricky Martin (Rumba)

"Por Arriba, Por Abajo" by Ricky Martin (Samba)

6 comments:

  1. OMG! As a latin american, I loved Ricky Martin's songs in the period 1999 - 2003, you choose something great to dance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Ricky Martin, too! I've always wanted more people to skate to his music when the OD or SD is Latin, so I decided I'd make up my own program! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, Casi un Bolero brings back memories! I used to pretend-choreograph skating routines to that song ALL THE TIME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing you've seen this :) My favorite Stars on Ice program ever!

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFbUBc2InfA

      Delete
    2. Kulik and Gordeeva was my first thought when I saw "Casi un Bolero..." If you can manage to make Adagio for Strings listenable... I will take my hat off to you. I hate that piece!

      Delete
    3. Aw, it's been one of my favorites since I had to listen to it in my Music 101 class in college. I wish I had real skaters I could use to choreograph a program and make it listenable :)

      Delete