Friday, January 29, 2016

2016 U.S. Nationals-Sunday Events


I had a lot to catch up on at home after Nationals, so forgive me for the delay in posting my last recap! Sunday was another up and down day in the emotions department. It started off with lots of fun at the Friends of Figure Skating breakfast followed by a quick trip to the Saintly City Cat Show next door to the arena. It was both hilarious and adorable! Meet the cat known as Rhett Butler:


And his ice castle LOL:


Back to the skating, the men had a high standard to live up to after the ladies' free skate on Saturday, and so many of them delivered! In the early groups, I really enjoyed Sebastien Payannet's performance. He has wonderful carriage and style. I was so happy for Grant Hochstein reaching the podium for the first time but so sad that Ross Miner is missing out on Worlds in his hometown. I was surprised at some of the scoring among the top three, but I think we have a strong team going to Worlds.

On to the exhibition, it was so disappointing to go from the high of Nathan Chen's jaw-dropping free skate to watching him hobble in pain off the ice during his show program. I really wanted to see how he would fare against the top men in the world at the senior level. On a happier note, there were some fun moments during the exhibition, like Jim Petersen filling the holes in the ice during the Zamboni break.


There were also some beautiful performances. Marissa Castelli and Mervin Tran's program to "Try" by Pink had a wonderfully sultry undertone. Their chemistry is so good. Tarah Kayne and Danny O'Shea also have amazing chemistry, which they displayed in their soft, gorgeous program to "Manhattan" by Sara Bareilles. I was also super impressed with the junior pairs champions Joy Weinberg and Max Fernandez. They had so much speed!


And that's a wrap for 2016 Nationals! I'm already counting the days until Worlds in Boston. I'll be there Monday-Sunday, so be on the lookout for lots of photos!

Here are my pics from the FOFS Breakfast => FOFS
And my pics from the Sunday events => PHOTOS

No comments:

Post a Comment